Welcome to the ultimate Destiny 2 fishing guide, where you’ll learn everything you need to know about fishing in the world of Destiny 2. The game’s Season of the Deep has introduced this exciting new activity, allowing Guardians to unwind from intense battles and search for rare aquatic treasures. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll cover all the ins and outs of Destiny 2 fishing, from unlocking the activity to catching exotic fish and maximizing your rewards.
Table of Contents
- 1 Table of Contents
- 2 1. Unlocking Fishing in Destiny 2
- 5 2. Destiny 2 Fishing Locations
- 8 3. Bait: The Essential Fishing Resource
- 11 4. Casting Your Line and Catching Fish
- 14 5. Focused Fishing: Boosting Your Chances of Rare Fish
- 17 6. How to Catch Exotic Fish
- 20 7. Maximizing Your Fishing Efficiency
- 23 8. Destiny 2 Fishing Rewards
- 26 9. Aquarium Decorations and Customization
- 29 10. Tips and Tricks for Destiny 2 Fishing
Table of Contents
- Unlocking Fishing in Destiny 2
- Destiny 2 Fishing Locations
- Bait: The Essential Fishing Resource
- Casting Your Line and Catching Fish
- Focused Fishing: Boosting Your Chances of Rare Fish
- How to Catch Exotic Fish
- Maximizing Your Fishing Efficiency
- Destiny 2 Fishing Rewards
- Aquarium Decorations and Customization
- Tips and Tricks for Destiny 2 Fishing
1. Unlocking Fishing in Destiny 2
To begin your aquatic adventure, you’ll first need to unlock the fishing activity. To do this, progress through the Season of the Deep story until you complete the first six steps of the “Into the Depths” seasonal quest. After that, visit Hawthorne at the Tower, who will introduce you to the essential fishing mechanics through a short quest called “Gone Fishin’.”
This quest will take you to all three fishing locations in the game, and once completed, you’ll receive 10 free baits and unlock fishing in Destiny 2.
2. Destiny 2 Fishing Locations
There are currently three primary fishing locations in Destiny 2:
- The Cistern on Nessus
- Outskirts in the EDZ
- Miasma in the Throne World
Fishing spots within these locations are marked on your map with a blue seasonal activity icon. Keep in mind that active public events in the area may cause fishing spots to temporarily disappear until the event is over.
3. Bait: The Essential Fishing Resource
To catch fish in Destiny 2, you’ll need bait. Bait can be acquired by completing Salvage activities, Deep Dive missions, Strikes, Crucible matches, Gambit matches, Public Events, Patrols, or by collecting destination materials. You can carry up to 500 bait at a time, and it’s essential to have a good supply before starting your fishing journey.
The most efficient way to farm bait is by completing Heroic Public Events and Patrols simultaneously in a zone like the EDZ. Teaming up with friends in a fireteam can speed up this process even more. Additionally, equip the Perfected Resource Detector Ghost Mod to collect extra bait from destination materials such as Cloud Accretions on Neomuna.
4. Casting Your Line and Catching Fish
Once you have enough bait and find a suitable fishing spot, start by casting your line using the interact button. Each cast consumes one bait, regardless of whether you catch something or not.
Wait for the lure to be pulled underwater and your line to flash brightly, then press the interact button again to reel in your catch. React quickly for a “Perfect Catch,” increasing your chances of acquiring a higher rarity fish. If you’re too early or too late, you may not catch anything at all.
After catching a fish, it will be stored in your Fishing Tackle inventory, with a maximum capacity of 500 fish. Hovering over the Fishing Tackle item will display the number of fish you’ve caught and their rarity, as well as the current best fishing spot.
5. Focused Fishing: Boosting Your Chances of Rare Fish
Focused Fishing is a mechanic that increases your chances of catching higher rarity fish. While fishing, you’ll see a Focused Fishing meter on the left side of your screen. This meter fills up each time you or a nearby Guardian catches a Legendary or Exotic fish.
To maximize your Focused Fishing meter, join a fireteam or fish at a pond with multiple other players. Remember that the meter resets when the pond despawns, so try to fish for as long as possible without interruption.
6. How to Catch Exotic Fish
Catching Exotic fish can be a challenging task, as their likelihood of appearing is only around 1%. To increase your chances of catching these elusive creatures, follow these steps:
- Have at least 50-70 bait.
- Visit the weekly featured fishing hot zone.
- Fish with friends or in areas with many other players.
- Fish immediately after a Public Event concludes.
- Always aim for Perfect Catches.
- Be patient and accept the role of RNG.
7. Maximizing Your Fishing Efficiency
To make the most of your fishing experience, follow these tips:
- Bring a substantial amount of bait (50-70 recommended).
- Fish in the weekly featured Pond for increased activity.
- Fish with friends or in popular spots with many players.
- Start fishing right after a Public Event has ended.
- Always aim for Perfect Catches to increase your chances of acquiring higher rarity fish.
8. Destiny 2 Fishing Rewards
Fishing in Destiny 2 offers a range of rewards, depending on the rarity of the fish you catch:
- Legendary Fish: These can reward you with Legendary gear, including Reckoning weapons or keys.
- Exotic Fish: Catching Exotic fish can grant you Exotic items such as Ascendant Shards, Exotic armor, and more.
Depositing Legendary or Exotic fish at the HELM’s aquarium will not only add them to your aquatic display but also grant you valuable rewards.
9. Aquarium Decorations and Customization
As you catch fish and deposit them at the HELM’s aquarium, you’ll be able to customize your tank with various decorations and plants. Keep an eye out for Deep Dive Secrets to collect and unlock additional aquarium decorations.
10. Tips and Tricks for Destiny 2 Fishing
Here are some additional tips to help you make the most of your Destiny 2 fishing experience:
- Be patient and persistent in your pursuit of Exotic fish, as RNG plays a significant role.
- Join a fireteam or fish with other players to maximize your Focused Fishing meter.
- Prioritize Perfect Catches to increase your chances of catching higher rarity fish.
- Equip Ghost Mods or other helpful items to improve your bait farming efficiency.
With this comprehensive Destiny 2 fishing guide in hand, you’re now ready to dive into the depths, cast your line, and reel in some fantastic rewards. Whether you’re searching for elusive Exotic fish or simply enjoying the relaxing pastime, Destiny 2 fishing offers an exciting new way to explore the game’s rich aquatic world.